Friday, October 26, 2018

History of Palermo-Italy

The city of Palermo (from the Greek “all harbour”) was founded by the Phoenicians in 736 BC. The Phoenicians were the great seafarers of antiquity. Being essentially traders, they were not interested in occupying large territories, preferring to oversee the ports strategic to their navigation.

It was a base for the Carthaginians, then, after their defeat by the Romans, it was occupied by the latter. Palermo was included in the Roman Empire and then in the Byzantine Empire, for over a thousand years.

From 827 to 1071 it was under Arab rule during the Emirate of Sicily when it first became a capital. This was the start of a new life for the city, which in a few years turned into a splendid metropolis, compared for its splendour to Cordoba and the Cairo. As the city expanded, new districts grew up, such as the Kalsa, a fortified quarter on the sea and the emir’s residence.

Following the Norman re-conquest, Palermo became capital of the new Kingdom of Sicily (from 1130 to 1816) and then united with the Realm of Naples to form the Kingdom of Two Sicilies, until the Italian unification (1860).

Under Roger II, Palermo - the capital of the new Norman kingdom lived a period of splendour. It was the centre of trade between east and west and from all over came noblemen, traders, adventurers attracted by the mirage of the rich city and the sumptuous court.
History of Palermo-Italy
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The most popular posts